tutorial: how to write on instagrams

Actually, I should probably rephrase the title. It should be “how I write on instagrams”.

There are likely numerous ways of doing this, but since I get questions whenever I post one of these photos, I thought a little tutorial was in order. And because I only know of one way to do this using a free app, you’re getting all this knowledge for one of my favorite 4-letter words: free.

I use my iPhone & iPad. First, I take my photos using the camera on my phone. (Although the iPad takes photos too, I find it a bit awkward.) Once the photo is to my liking, I crop it to a square.

Then I email the photo to myself. On the iPad, I open the email and save the photo to the camera roll. Then I open up Skitch, an absolutely wonderful free drawing app. Once I open up my desired photo in the app, here is what it looks like:

I select the writing utensil and choose my color (usually white). Then I use my finger (a stylus may work better) to doodle on the screen.

Once I get something I like, I save it to my camera roll using the icon to the right of the envelope.

While still on the iPad, I open Instagram. I choose to post a photo from my camera roll. Then I decide on a filter, or not, a caption, and finally whether to share on Twitter, Facebook or both. Perhaps there is an easier way to do this, but it really doesn’t take too long. Plus it’s rather fun to play around with.

Do you know any other easy ways to write on photos or other must-have (preferably free) fun drawing apps? Please share. And in case you missed the post on viewing Instagrams on the computer, check it out here. Don’t you just love technology? Now to possibly figure out a way of easily turning my handwriting into a font.

32 Responses to tutorial: how to write on instagrams

1. Ursula Schneider says:

Great tut Amy! Thanks for sharing. Your handwriting translates beautifully to this application. I have a Wacom and my handwriting still looks like poo when I write with my stylus.

2. Jess Amazing says:

Here are two that I've been holding onto, thinking about using at some point:-http://www.yourfonts.com -http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/fontcapture-turn-my-handwriting-into-font-freeThere's also this one but I'm not sure about price: http://www.writing-fonts.comAnd there's this site that might make it into a font for you, but it will also be available on their downloads page: http://kevinandamanda.com/fonts/fontsforpeas/how-to-get-your-handwriting-as-a-font

3. Amy says:

Found your tutorial via Instagram and love it! I was at Craftcation last month and don't think I had the chance to meet you (I met your very sweet mother at breakfast one morning though!). Thanks for the fun tutorial!

4. Janice says:

I don't have an iPad, but on my iPhone, I like to use Labelbox to add captions to my pictures. You can't write on it, but you can add washi tape like labels to it. And it's free ^___________^Janice

5. Cristin H. says:

Did the whole thing on my android, and i LOVE it. This has changed instagram from something fun to something crafty and fun. :) Thanks so much for taking the time to write a tut!!!

6. Becky says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I am so glad you posted this tutorial. Perfect timing as well, I was just looking online for tips on doing this :)

7. Lynne says:

Thanks soooo much Amy!! I learn more & more everyday :-) I purchased Photoshop Elements so I could do this sort of thing. Haven't learned how to use it yet but I figured this little Instagram/Skitch instruction….YES!!!!You're awesome!!!!!

8. bcats0318 says:

Phonto is another app that lets you choose different fonts, font colors, font opacity, and font size. It's awesome! I heard about it from Rhonna Farrer. Her pics are fantastic!

9. Kimberly says:

Amy, another useful thing with the iPhone and iPad is the photo stream! If it is turned on on both devices and they are using the same iCloud account, they will both upload photos to the same stream. This will eliminate the need to email the photos to yourself. Any photos in your camera roll will automatically show up in the photo stream on both devices, and you can open it up from your iPad photo stream just like it was in the camera roll. I use this feature ALL THE TIME!!!Thanks for this great tutorial! Your handwriting is AWESOME!!! I think Amanda would LOVE to make it into a font!!!!

10. Kimberly says:

P.S. Then when you're done editing it in Skitch, and save it again, it will be in your photo stream again and show back up on your phone's photo stream too! Pure awesomeness!!!

11. JennV says:

Thanks Amy for telling me about Skitch! I downloaded it to my Android phone and then I was able to upload straight to instagram! Very easy…only problem it that its hard to draw straight the the phone. But its possible. Love this. :)

12. Michelle says:

Hi, great tutorial, but more importantly (lol), what breed(s) is the dog in the photo? He looks just like our rescue doggie and we still don’t know what he is!

Comments