We had the pleasure of having my cousins stay with us and cook up some fantastic meals. This was just one of the tasty treats we had while they were in town. In fact it was so good, we requested it twice and asked if she would share the recipe with all of you. The only difference is that we had turkey bacon on ours, but here is the vegetarian version. Enjoy!!
Kristi's LA Breakfast Delight - Serves 4 people
Ingredients: 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced 6 baby Bella mushrooms, chopped 1 red bell pepper, finely diced 4tbs olive oil, separated 1/2 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 1 medium bunch of kale, roughly chopped 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (I like garlic!) salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 eggs 4 whole wheat tortillas 1/2 cup of hummus
4 grape tomatoes, sliced in half 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
Apologies in advance, these measurements are guesstimates!
2. When the pan is warm, add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Saute till onion slices are just starting to crisp up.
3. Add kale and garlic. Saute for a few minutes till the kale begins to wilt and add salt and pepper.
4. After a few more minutes, take the kale mixture off the stove into a bowl. Cover.
5. Return pan and crack the four eggs, one by one --making sure the egg whites aren't touching. You can do this in separate batches if the pan isn't big enough. Salt and pepper, then wait for the whites to set. Yolks should be jiggly, perfect and unbroken.
6. While the eggs are cooking, warm the tortillas one by one in a separate pan. Put each tortilla on a plate. Divide the hummus between the four tortillas spreading it across the entire surface of the tortilla, all the way to the edges.
7. Divide the kale mixture and place on each tortilla, spreading the mixture to the edges.
8. Gently place an egg ontop of each kale mixture. Garnish with two halves of grape tomatoes and cilantro.
Serve immediately! Slit the yolks. Use your hands to enjoy Kristi's LA Breakfast Delite!