When friends come for a visit, I have a routine I like to follow to entertain them. It evolves mostly around food and showing folks how cool Venice is. Though our place is tiny, it can accommodate an overnight guest willing to sleep on an orange sofa and sharing less than 550 square feet for the evening. Luckily, Kara is one of those friends. We spent a lot of time walking around our neighborhood and I took her to a few of my favorite spots. The only thing that would have made her visit more perfect is if we squeezed in a dinner at Gjelina. Considering she was here for less than 20 hours, I say we did it right.
1. Mani/Pedis on Main Street in Santa Monica at Zumani. They have oversized yellow massage chairs, essie colors galore and for $20, you get someone working on your feet and someone else working on your hands at the same time. Efficient, clean, and walking distance from our place.
2. Lunch at Lemonade. This is a must. We shared 2 sides split 4 ways AND a pot roast sandwich with mac and cheese ON it. We each had a blueberry mint lemonade. If we had more room in our bellies, we would have had a mini cupcake, but alas we were stuffed.
3. Shopping at Urbanic. It's my favorite store. They recently expanded and are carrying some Amy Tangerine stickers and bits.
4. Walk down Abbot Kinney, it's such a fun, eclectic street. There are also stores like Firefly, Tortoise, and A+R, all fantastic for gifts and super cool goodies.
5. Watch the sunset on the roof at the Hotel Erwin.
And that my friends, is a full day. We walked everywhere except had to get into the car to make it in time to catch the 6:30 sunset. Afterward we got to try a new restaurant just around the corner from Hotel Erwin, called Larry's. We all enjoyed it and look forward to adding it to the repertoire. Their Brussels sprout pizza is no joke - so delicious, and obviously healthy, right?
If any of your are visiting the neighborhood, perhaps you will check some of these spots out. Come back soon everyone, especially you- Kara!