best advice

The prompt at The Creative Type is “The best advice I ever received”. After much thought and realizing that over the years I have heard lots of kernels of wisdom, I finally chose one that has really stuck with me. It’s from Gretchen Rubin’s book, The Happiness Project, and it’s “spend out”. Turns out I have been always good at saving – but sometimes too good, meaning I would save useful items for a rainy day. Instead of using my really nice pens, I would savehoard them, and years later when I found them, they were rendered useless. This is one of the issues I worked to resolve. Spending out has not only allowed me to enjoy the things I have, but to also appreciate life in the moment. Instead of saving gifts or hugs or compliments, I find much joy in sharing these things with friends and loved ones right away.

This is how my layout came together, using mostly little items I had been saving (yes, I even save little tiny scraps of paper. it’s pathetic)… I started off by stamping with Lawn Fawn and adding some 7gypsies tape to kraft cardstock. Then kept on layering from there.

And if you want a chance to win one of our packs of washi tapes, join in on the fun.

You’ll need to upload your layouts to the flickr group and leave a comment on the Creative Type blog. Hope you’ll play along!

17 Responses to best advice

1. Anonymous says:

I love this layout, and the advice that goes with it. I used to "save" stuff instead of use it, but I've gotten much better at just using it. I can always buy more, right?!

2. Kellie says:

Great advice and something I used to do with a lot of my crafting things when I would get them. And then would change style or they were be crushed or bent or fall apart. Lately I have been a "use it NOW" person and only within the past 2 weeks! I LOVE that you show how your LO's come together, I love this one, everything is just perfect.

3. Nicole Austin says:

i love this layout! i love how you layer and use up those beautiful scraps. i hoard them, too. i'm going to challenge myself to use them! i am good at using all my "precious" supplies. i find that i enjoy what i'm going more if i'm using up the good stuff! :) great advice.

4. WillieburgScrapper says:

Looks like we are saving the same things! LOVE the colors and bits and bobs in this page! I will have to join the challenge and do the same- wish those Hambly doily rub ones were still available- they are positively juicy!

5. nicole says:

I save a ton of stuff too. I just went through all my stuff again and it really became evident because I have had papers for years… like 8 years. crazy. time to use it!

6. Jill says:

Something a lot of us probably need to hear. Except I can save my Mixtape because I'm having a heck of a time finding any!!! Patiently waiting for the undersupply problem to go away. . .

7. Magdalena says:

You are so incredibly talented! I really like these posts when you share the process of the layout being created. Love it! I will definately take part in the challenge. Great prize pack!

8. Sophie says:

i LoVe watching your process of putting together a layout. i'm in a crafty rut, but reading your blog today is sparking the flames of creativity. thanks!

9. kimberly says:

Because of your post, I've finally checked out the Happiness Project from my library…I love your layout and I need the message right now…I have so many cute crafty supplies and my goal is to use them all up on fun things in the coming winter months :) Why haven't I seen your cute paper tape anywhere???

10. Stephanie says:

Love this layout. With each picture showing the progression of how you made it, I was more and more inspired to break out my stash and 'spend out'. Awesome – thank you :)

Comments